Shakshuka is a Middle Eastern breakfast, in which eggs are poached in a tomato and red pepper sauce. Pulled Oats® adds a protein boost to the dish.
- 120 g of Pulled Oats® Tomato
- 4 eggs
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 onion
- 1 red bell pepper
- 4 tomatoes
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 1 tin crushed tomato +
- 1 dl water (rinse the crushed tomato tins, add more water if necessary)
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp chili powder or fresh chili
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- A pinch of sugar
- Oil for frying
- Fresh herbs (e.g. leaf parsley coriander or mint)
- black pepper
- Chop the onion, garlic and bell pepper. Heat some oil in a large cast iron pan and add the onions, garlic, bell pepper, spices and pinch of salt and pepper. Cook, stirring frequently, until the vegetables have softened.
- Add the sliced tomatoes, crushed tomatoes, tomato purée and water. Simmer for about 15 minutes, until the tomato mixture begins to reduce. Add the chopped Pulled Oats®.
- Use a wooden spoon to make 4 indentations in the tomato mixture. Crack each egg into a cup first, then gently pour the eggs into each indention.
- Cover the pan and cook on low until the egg whites are set. Uncover and garnish with fresh herbs of your choice.
- Serve with fresh bread.